Powered by Blogger.

Homemade Veggie Broth

Lately, I've been making a lot of recipes that include vegetable broth.

Instead of spending extra dough at the grocery store, I save a good buck or two by making it myself.

When you realize how simple it is, you'll probably want to make it too!

Even if you burn everything you touch, I promise that you will be able to make veggie broth.


The key is vegetable guts.

Okay, that's a little gross.

Maybe I should call it vegetable surplus.

It's the extra skin from the onion. The carrot top. The leafy part of the celery stalk. Get the drift?

Now, when I finish chopping up veggies, I stick the extra stuff in the freezer. When I'm ready to make some broth, I yank it out, and it's ready to help me make some veggie broth!


No recipe is needed, but here's the basic how-to:

1. Get a big 'ol pot and fill it half-full with veggies. You can use those last two carrots from the bag, the third of an onion you didn't use the last time you made meatloaf, the green stalks from green onions...etc. I have a few "staples" in my veggie combination. I have always included a green veggie (like spinach or broccoli), onions, and garlic.

2. Fill the pot with water until about 2/3rds full. This is approximately the amount of veggie broth that you'll end up. If you want a lot, use a big pot. If not, use a small pot. I feel like I'm becoming a poet over here! Add a dash (about 1 tsp) of salt. If you'd like, you can extra spices like basil or oregano.

3. Bring to a boil. Boil for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for another hour or so (or until water starts to darken).

4. Place a large bowl under a colander/stainer. Drain veggies and broth--all the veggies will hang out in the strainer and the broth will end up in the big bowl!


5. Use it! I use what I need and freeze or refrigerate the excess.

That's it.

It's a simple way to use up extra veggies that are almost expiring or those darn carrot tops and extra onions. Plus, you save money doing it!

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP