Powered by Blogger.

Ginger + Molasses = Pure Love


After Thanksgiving swings by, the pumpkin spice seems to be shoved to the back corner of the spice shelf and ginger and molasses get the main show.

Although I love pumpkin spice, I love gingerbread, so I can't complain!

Since this blog is reflecting my experiments in the kitchen, this recipe is my first ever not-from-a-box-or-from-someone-who-already-knows-how-to-make-a-delicious-cake recipe.

I've made lots of cakes.

From boxes.

Maybe one or two from an actual recipe.

Scribbling down recipes for main dishes and sides isn't too hard for me. Baking...well, I'm entering new territory here!

After studying a few recipes and taking bits and pieces here and there, I etched out a recipe for gingerbread cake. My goal was not that the cake would win the blue ribbon at the fair. My goal was for it to be edible! Also, I challenged myself to use no butter. I guess the jeans were feeling a little too tight today!

Although it could use a tweak here or there, I was surprised that it tasted pretty good! Not perfect, but definitely edible and yummy :)

It all begins with ginger root and backstrap molasses. And a curious dog.


And then sugar, eggs, and applesauce.


Oooh, look at all those spices partying in there!


Gooey and just asking for a lickin'!


Make some muffins if you have a little extra...


Sprinkle a little (or a lot) of powered sugar to add a touch of extra sweetness...

And then eat it up! It would taste so delightful with ice cream and caramel sauce...


Gingerbread Cake:
(makes one 9x13 cake or two 8x8 cakes)

Ingredients:
1 cup of applesauce
1/2 cup of brown sugar
3/4 cup of molasses
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups of unbleached white flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp ground or freshly grated ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup of hot water

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 
2. Mix applesauce, eggs, brown sugar, and molasses together until well blended.
3. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to liquid mixture. Mix well.
5. Pour cup of water into the mixture. Mix until well blended.
6. Pour into greased and floured 9x13 cake pan or into two 8x8 pans.
7. Bake for 30-45 minutes. Toothpick will come out clean when ready!

{ps. I'm sharing this recipe at the Christmas Cheer party at Life in Grace!}

Kristen @ Joyfullythriving  – (December 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM)  

Gingerbread cake? Yum! I'm adding this to my list of things to bake.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP