Powered by Blogger.

Pancakes. For two.


There used to be a time when Josh and I would have pancakes every Sunday morning--made from a box mix and with loads of butter and syrup. We also crashed about thirty minutes into the church service. Too much sugar!

We don't have pancakes every Sunday anymore, but I do like to sneak them in for supper sometimes. Breakfast for dinner is always fun!

This time around, though, when I went looking for our handy ready-to-mix pancake mix, I came up short. I almost started digging around for something else to eat, but then I decided that I would try and make pancakes from scratch. After peeking at a few recipes, I wondered why I had never bothered venturing away from a box mix.

Oh, yeah, because I thought that all pancakes required buttermilk.

But they don't!

I wanted to make these pancakes a little kinder on the pant strings, so healthy ingredients wiggled their way into the recipe.

Of course, I couldn't help but add dashes of cinnamon and cloves. Before I knew it, I was adding a spoonful of molasses. Who knew making pancakes could be so adventures?

Suddenly, these pancakes were not your run-of-the-mill pancakes. I was a little nervous to serve them to Josh--since he is usually the pancake expert around our parts. And then he took a bite. And smiled. And then I got a, "oooh, these are so good!" and "I really like these!"

Cha-ching!


I gobbled them up right along with him and even made a second batch for breakfast today.

Lucky for me, pancakes are easy to freeze, and now I've got breakfast waiting for me!

Like any good pancake, it begins with the flour/s and the spices.


And then a little milk, egg, vanilla, and molasses.


Finally, whisk it all together and spoon it on the griddle.


Let it bubble. Flip. And eat!


So, so good. Filling, spicy, tasty, simple, and plain delicious! I think it's safe to say that premade pancake mixes have officially been retired at our house :)


Pancakes for Two:
Makes about 10 small pancakes
{printable recipe}

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup of unbleached white flour (or whole wheat)
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp flax seed (optional)

Liquid Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups of milk (I used almond milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp molasses
1 egg

Directions:
1. In a medium bowl, mix dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk egg. Add the remaining liquid ingredients.
3. Add liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk together (don't over mix--it may be a little lumpy).
4. Spoon 1/4 cup of mixture onto a hot griddle (on medium heat).
5. When pancake is bubbly around the edges, flip. Once other side is cooked, add to a plate and cover with a dish towel to keep warm.

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP